EVERGREEN WOODWORKERS GUILD
GENERAL MEETING MINUTES FOR MAY 12, 2008
Meeting was opened by Jerry Wheeler, President 3 Visitors Approx 56 attendees
1. THANK YOU CARD from Wilson High School was received this month. The card included a picture of the students and a signed thank you card. The guild purchased a branding iron for the students to use in marking their projects and at least one of our members, Clair Boussum, helped some of the students with their projects.
1. DESIGN PLAQUE CONTEST will be decided very soon.
2. REFRESHMENTS help is still needed. Anne Vukovich will be done after the next meeting.
3. ANNUAL PICNIC is set for August 16. Flaming Geyser Park, Shelter #4. Signup sheet for food was passed around.
4. SUPER RAFFLE will be September 9. Tickets are now available for sale.
5. WOODWORKER’S SHOW was well staffed by guild members. Thank you to everyone.
Treasurer’s Report: $1,300 in checking, $5,100 in savings account.
Library: There are two new DVD’s in the library and they will be available for checkout soon.
Membership: 101 paid members for 2008 so far.
Mentorship: No news to report.
Monthly Raffle: No additional news.
Newsletter/Website: Website has been updated.
ETCETERAS and alsos………
Special Meetings: Thank You to Jerry Wheeler for his presentation on veneering at this months general meeting.
June – 2 x 4 Challenge July – Miniature Tools August – Mini-Symposiums Sept. – Super Raffle
Safety Corner: Here are some safety reminders from our guild members at this month’s meeting; a) never allow loose clothing around power tools, b) set aside time for tool maintenance, c) keep your projects fully supported, no matter how quick you think the job will be, d) lubricate the surface of your tools so the project slides easier.
Show-N-Tell: Neil Bonn brought a beautiful scroll sawed side table. John McCutcheon brought a very nice dovetailed box. Larry Hart used some unusual wood to make an item that looked like a barometer in the shape of a ship’s steering wheel. Carol Zandell brought two of her famous bandsaw boxes. Anne Vukovich tried her hand at a small turned & lidded box.
Ask The Experts: No questions this month.
Monthly Raffle: Carter Harry won a nametag drawing for a gift certificate to Rockler. Wear those nametags!
1. Jerry Wheeler was a winner, again. He took home a Rockler router bit and two 10” hand screw clamps.
2. Dick Noe, again, won three chisels of different sizes and an 18” magnetic holder.
3. Dan Haavisto, again, won a 30 ft. retractable cord reel.
4. A halogen shop light and a 90-degree miter clamp went home with Larry Hart.
5. Alan Winslow took home two sets of mini-bar clamps and four 10” hand screw clamps.