EVERGREEN WOODWORKERS GUILD
GENERAL MEETING MINUTES FOR June 9, 2008
Meeting was opened by Jerry Wheeler, President 1 Visitors Approx 50 attendees
1. 2 X 4 CHALLENGE WINNERS ARE:
BEST NOVICE – Robert Moria for a lovely jewelry box.
BEST INTERMEDIATE-Dan Haavisto’s band saw boxes (12)
BEST EXPERT & MOST ORIGINAL-a very fine mechanical toy titled “Fun Time Rattletrap Band” by Carol Zandell.
MOST EFFECTIVE USE OF WOOD-to George Knutson for his bar stool.
BEST QUICKIE-to Carol Zandell for her “Teaching Tug Boats”.
BEST USE OF A 2X4 went to Michael Poirer for his bat house. His left over 2 x 4 material was so thin, there was practically nothing left.
All winners received a gift certificate to one of the local wood stores.
2. LIBRARIAN duties will now be performed by Frank Tennison. Thank you for volunteering to take over for Cindy Howerton.
3. THANK YOU to Cindy Howerton for serving as the library committee head. We wish you and your family the best.
1. DESIGN PLAQUE CONTEST has not been concluded.
2. REFRESHMENTS help is still needed. Anne Vukovich IS done and no one has come forward, so the refreshment wagon has now departed. The leftover coffee money will buy sodas for the picnic and a new coffee pump pot for the church.
3. ANNUAL PICNIC is set for August 16. Flaming Geyser Park, Shelter #4. Signup sheet for food was passed around.
4. SUPER RAFFLE will be September 9. Tickets are now available for sale. At this point, George Knutson has received approximately $8,000 in donated products.
Treasurer’s Report: $951.00 in checking, $5,634.00 in savings account.
Library: Cindy will be leaving this position and: Hallelujah! Frank Tennison has stepped up to fill her spot. Thank you Frank for coming forward so quickly.
Membership: 101 paid members for 2008 so far.
Mentorship: Gary Roth has several of our mentors signed up to demonstrate at the mini-symposium in August.
Monthly Raffle: No additional news.
Newsletter/Website: Website has been updated.
Public Relations: Thank you to everyone who showed up to staff the Guild’s table at the Woodworker Show.
ETCETERAS and alsos………
Special Meetings: The June program was the 2 x 4 Challenge. There were 12 entries this year. A great big thanks to everyone who participated, winners and non-winners alike. The judging was difficult because of so many very fine entries. It was a great time and with more entries than ever, what will next year bring? Hopefully double the entries.
Jerry Wheeler – footstool; George Knutson – bar stool; Larry Omo – desk set; Carol Zandell – Teaching Tug Boats and “Fun Time Rattletrap Band” mechanical toy; Robert Moria – jewelry box; Michael Poirier – bat house; Neil Bonn – end grain cutting board.
Dan Haavisto – 12 band saw boxes; Gene Warning – 2 wooden trucks, a boat, a wooden stand-alone screen.
July – Miniature Tools August – Mini-Symposiums Sept. – Super Raffle
Safety Corner: Michael Poirier reminded everyone to be aware of protecting their hearing and as an example of what we should all be doing, he brought in a pair of the most modern ear protection available. These ear protectors can measure the sound decibels in a room and will amplify the normal sounds and cut out the louder sounds greater than 80 decibels.
Show-N-Tell: 3 very beautiful flutes, 3 special presentation pen boxes.
Ask The Experts: Here is an example of some of the information exchanged during our monthly meetings. Someone needed information on where to find duct work and fittings for their dust collection system. A friend of Bob Arnold has some downed trees that they would like to get rid of. Does anyone use a 3 stage buffing wheel arrangement? These questions and many more can be answered for you too. Just come to our monthly meetings and get some advice.
Monthly Raffle: Alan Winslow won a nametag drawing for a gift certificate to Sumner. Wear those nametags!
Michael Poirier’s bat house was donated to the raffle and went home with Cindy Howerton.
1. Dave Lamberson took home a Rockler shop stool and an EZ Clan Spray System
2. Frank Tennison won a heavy duty ball bearing stand.
3. Alan Winslow won an assortment of chisels, screw clamps and a 90 degree clamp.
4. Michael Rocke took home a par of large screw clamps.